Possibly the most informative, fully-online PFSO courses, following the IMO model course and available anywhere. This course covers all the required subjects as instructed by the IMO and is key to ensuring that those persons performing the role of the Port/Marine Facility Security Officer fully understand their duties and responsibilities.
Get your PFSO Certificate Today!
Approved Training Courses:
Virtual Maritime Academy is a Transport Canada Recognized Institution. This course is fully recognized and accepted internationally.
This course is for:
To give the essential education and training to get certified as a Port/Marine Facility Security Ofﬁcer and meeting the requirements set out in the International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS) Code.
Under the International Ship & Port Security (ISPS) Code qualification
It is assumed that persons attending this course are:
- Employed by a port facility operator; and/or
- Likely to be either designated as a PFSO/Deputy PFSO or the manager responsible for port facility security (to whom the PFSO may report).
Course participants are expected to have a basic understanding of port operations in order to be able to advise and implement the security concept mandated by SOLA S chapter XI-2 and the ISPS Code.
Regulations, Code, Convention Addressed:
The International Ship & Port Security (ISPS) Code.
- Develop, maintain and supervise the implementation of a port facility security plan;
- Assess security risk, threat, and vulnerability;
- Undertake regular inspections of the port facility to ensure that appropriate security measures are implemented and maintained;
- Ensure that security equipment and systems are properly operated, tested, and calibrated; and
- Encourage security awareness and vigilance.
The PFSO course is fully online and consists of:
- 8 chapters and the final assessment & course feedback.
- Confirmation questions after each chapter.
- Course Manual.
- A Final Course Assessment.
There are multi-choice questions to complete at the end of each chapter and a final assessment. The passing mark is 70%. The Final Assessment is fully online and no need to attend any classroom. A Proctor will be assigned to you to monitor you during your Final Assessment. You will need a computer(not a tablet or Chromebook) with a webcam and an ok internet speed for your Final Assessment. If for any reason you do not pass with a mark of at least 70% of your Final Assessment there is a fee a 75$ CAD+ applicable taxes to re-attempt the Final Assessment.
Approximately 18 hours.
You can enter and exit this course as often as you require. This course is a do it at your own pace.
The course is 100% online and no requirement to attend a test in a classroom.
Student Verification Requirements:
The student is required to complete a simple online verification form that links from the course, where they will submit a scan of an official photo ID such as a passport, CoC, or similar. This is a requirement under Transport Canada.
The online PFSO Course is fully recognized in Canada and is internationally recognized and accepted. It includes the 2010 Manila Amendments and conforms to Chapter XI-2 of SOLAS 74 as amended, the ISPS Code, the IMDG Code, the IMO/ILO Code of Practice on Security in Ports, and guidance contained in IMO MSC.1/Circ.1341.
A hardcopy will be posted to your address free of charge.
Online Course Subjects:
A course meeting with all the requirements.
- Historical Perspective
- Current Security threats and patterns
- Maritime Security Policy
- Security Responsibilities
- Port Security Assessment and On-Scene Inspection
- Security Equipment
- Port Facility Security Plan
- Threat Identification
- Security Levels
- Drills and exercises
- Ship Security Actions
- Contingency plan
- Security Administration
- Security Training
- And the list can continue……..
- Download the Official Course Syllabus HERE