Possibly the most informative, fully-online DPA courses, following the IMO and ISM guidance and available anywhere. This course covers all the required subjects as instructed by the ISM Code and is key to ensuring that those persons performing the role of the Designated Person Ashore fully understand their duties and responsibilities.
In this online course the participants will be fully prepared to assume the role of DPA. This means providing them with the understanding, knowledge and skills necessary to implement and maintain the company’s SMS as required by the ISM Code.
Get Your DPA Certificate Today
Approved Training Courses:
Virtual Maritime Academy is a Transport Canada Recognized Institution. This course is fully recognized internationally and accepted around the world including Canada, MCA, USCG, AMSA just to name a few….
This course is for:
To give the essential education and training meeting the requirements set out in the following the International Safety Management (ISM) Code. This course is designed for anyone who seeks a DPA position, Nautical Officers, engineers, Superintendents, Shipping Companies, Assistant DPA’s, Quality Managers and Personnel involved in Safety Management Systems.
According to the ISM Code the Designated Person Ashore (DPA) plays a key role in the effective implementation of a Safety Management System (SMS) and takes responsibility for verification and monitoring of all safety and pollution prevention activities. To comply with the ISM Code a shipping company should be able to provide documentary evidence that the DPA has received sufficient training to undertake the necessary duties.
Under the International Safety Management (ISM) Code qualification
No Pre-Requisites but, experience in shipping and ship operations and good knowledge of the ISM Code. Knowledge of MLC, STCW, and Marpol should also be very useful.
Regulations, Code, Convention Addressed:
- The International Safety Management (ISM) Code,
- Safety of Life At Sea Convention (SOLAS)
- Maritime Labour Convention (MLC)
- International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification, and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW)
To provide comprehensive training related to the implementation and maintenance of a company’s SMS in compliance with the requirements of the ISM Code.
This course fulfills the IMO MSC-MEPC.7/Circ.6 “Guideline on the qualification, training, and experience necessary for undertaking the role of the Designated Person under the provisions of the ISM Code”.
- knowledge and understanding of the ISM Code;
- mandatory rules and regulations;
- applicable codes, guidelines and standards as appropriate;
- assessment techniques of examining, questioning, evaluating and reporting;
- technical or operational aspects of safety management;
- appropriate knowledge of shipping and shipboard operations;
- participation in at least one marine-related management system audit; and
- effective communications with shipboard staff and senior management.
The DPA course is fully online and consists of:
- 10 separate chapters and the final assessment & course feedback.
- Confirmation questions after each section.
- Course Manual.
- A Final Official Course Assessment.
There are multi-choice questions to complete at the end of each chapter and a final assessment. The passing mark is 70%. The Final Assessment is fully online and no need to attend any classroom. A Proctor will be assigned to you to monitor your during your Final Assessment. You will need a computer(not a tablet or Chromebook) with a webcam and an ok internet speed for your Final Assessment. If for any reason you do not pass with a mark of at least 70% your Final Assessment there is a fee a 75$ CAD+ applicable taxes to re-attempt the Final Assessment.
Approximately 14 hours.
You can enter and exit this course as often as you require.
The course is 100% online and no requirement to attend a test in a classroom.
Student Verification Requirements:
The student is required to complete a simple online verification form which links from the course, where they will submit a scan of an official photo ID such as a passport, CoC or similar. This is a requirement under Transport Canada.
The online DPA Course is fully recognized in Canada and is internationally recognized and accepted.
A hardcopy will be posted to your address free of charge.
Online Course Subjects:
A course meeting with the requirements.
- understanding of the ISM Code
- requirements for the company’s SMS
- duties of a DPA as defined in IMO MSC – MEPC.7 Circ 6 provided you are qualified according to this circular
- requirements included STCW 2010 and MLC 2006 for better understanding of ISM effect
- understand the background and objectives of the Code
- guidance for participation in a marine-related management system audit
- shipping and shipboard operations
- applicable convention, codes, guidelines and standards as appropriate and the relevant mandatory rules and regulations
- responsibilities and authority of the DPA, possible legal exposure, as well as other potential difficulties
- effective communications with shipboard staff and senior management
- assessment techniques of examining, questioning, evaluating and reporting
- documentary evidence as a DPA proving that you are capable to undertake the necessary duties.
- technical and operational aspects of their Safety Management System.
- And the list can continue……..
- Download the Official Course Syllabus HERE
Get Your DPA Certificate Today