This online course provides the relevant training to those who have been entrusted with fulfilling the Ship Security Officer duties on board ship. his course covers all the required subjects as instructed by Transport Canada and is key to ensuring that those persons performing the role of the Ship Security Officer fully understand their duties and responsibilities.
Get your SSO Certificate Today!
Approved Training Courses:
Virtual Maritime Academy is a Transport Canada Recognized Institution. This course is fully approved and certified under Transport Canada. Transport Canada training certificate is internationally recognized and accepted under STCW around the world including MCA, USCG, AMSA just to name a few….
This course is for:
For Officer seeking a Ship Security Ofﬁcer Certificate.
Regulation VI/5, paragraph 1 & Section A-VI/5, paragraphs 1 to 4 of the STCW Convention and Code 1978, as amended.
The student must have:
- 12 months of sea time or
- At the discretion of Transport Canada – appropriate sea time.
- A CDN Number from Transport Canada*
*For Transport Canada Certification.
Regulations, Code, Convention Addressed:
The International Ship & Port Security (ISPS) Code, STCW Table A-VI/5.
- Undertaking regular security inspections of the ship to ensure that appropriate security measures are maintained;
- Maintaining and supervising the implementation of the Ship Security Plan, including any amendments to the plan;
- Coordinating the security aspects of passengers, and/or the handling of cargo and ship’s stores with other shipboard personnel and with the relevant Port Facility Security Officers;
- Proposing modifications to the Ship Security Plan;
- Reporting to the Company Security Officer any deficiencies and non-conformities identified during internal audits, periodic reviews, security inspections, and verifications of compliance and implementing any corrective actions;
- Enhancing security awareness and vigilance onboard;
- Ensuring that adequate training has been provided to shipboard personnel, as appropriate;
- Reporting all security incidents;
- Coordinating implementation of the Ship Security Plan with the Company Security Officer and the relevant Port Facility Security Officer; and
- Ensuring that security equipment is properly operated, tested, calibrated, and maintained if any.
The SSO course consists of:
- 10 Chapters.
- Confirmation questions after each chapter.
- Course Manual.
- A Final Course Assessment.
There are multi-choice questions to complete at the end of each chapter and a final assessment. The passing mark is 70%. The Final Assessment is fully online and no need to attend any classroom. A Proctor will be assigned to you to monitor your during your Final Assessment. You will need a computer with a webcam and an ok internet speed for your Final Assessment. If for any reason you do not pass with a mark of at least 70% your Final Assessment there is a fee a 75$ CAD+ applicable taxes to re-attempt the Final Assessment.
Approximately 21 hours.
You can enter and exit this course as often as you require.
The course is 100% online and no requirement to attend a test in a classroom.
Student Verification Requirements:
Every student is required to submit his official photo ID before starting the course. This is a requirement under Transport Canada.
The SSO course is fully approved by Transport Canada and is internationally recognized. Incorporates the Vessel Personnel with Security Responsibilities (VPWSR)PDSD Course and the Vessel Personnel without Security Responsibilities (VPWSOR)PSA Course as laid down in Regulation VI/6 and Section A-VI/6 of the STCW Convention and Code.
A hardcopy will be posted to your address free of charge.
Online Course Subjects:
A course meeting with all the requirements.
- Maritime Security Policy
- Security Responsibilities
- Current security threats and patterns
- Ship Security Assessment
- Security Equipment
- Maintaining the security of the ship/port interface
- Ship Security Plan
- International conventions, codes, and recommendations
- Threat Identification, Recognition & Response
- Ship Security Actions
- Methods of physical searches and non-intrusive inspections
- Emergency Preparedness, Drills & Exercises
- Recognized Security Organizations
- Government legislation and regulations
- Security Administration
- Risk assessment methodology
- Contingency planning
- Security Training
- Security equipment and systems
- Security audits and inspections
- And the list can continue……..
- Download the Official Course Syllabus HERE