This course is designed to enable seafarers to successfully demonstrate the competencies on Use of Leadership and Managerial Skills. This course covers all the required subjects as instructed by Transport Canada, based on TP 15337, IMO Model Course 1.40, and provides the seafarer at the management level with non-technical skills in human factors in order to control the operation of the ship and care for the people on board.
Approved Training Courses:
Virtual Maritime Academy is a Transport Canada Recognized Institution. This course is fully approved and certified. The training certificate is internationally recognized and accepted under STCW around the world including MCA, USCG, AMSA just to name a few….
This course is for:
For Officer seeking a Leadership & Managerial Skills Training certificate.
This course meets the requirements of Tables A-II/2, and A-III/2 of the STCW Convention for the application of leadership and managerial skills.
The student must have:
- 6 months of sea time or
- At the discretion of Transport Canada – appropriate sea time.
- A CDN Number from Transport Canada*
*For Transport Canada Certification.
Regulations, Code, Convention Addressed:
- International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification, and Watchkeeping for Seafarers, 1978, as amended,
- International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) 1974, as amended
- International Safety Management (ISM) Code
- International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution of Pollution from Ships (MARPOL) 73/78
- MSC Circular 1014on Guidelines on Fatigue Mitigation and Management
- Resolution A.1047 (27) on Principles of Minimum Safe Manning
- Manage shipboard personnel and conduct training;
- Apply related international maritime conventions and recommendations, and national legislation;
- Apply effective resource management;
- Apply decision-making techniques; and
- Develop, implement, and oversee shipboard standard operating procedures.
The Use of Leadership and Managerial Skills (LMS) course consists of:
- 7 Chapters,
- Confirmation questions after each chapter,
- Course Manual,
- Homework and activities, and
- A Final Course Assessment.
There are multi-choice and description questions to complete at the end of each chapter and a final assessment. The passing mark is 70%. The Final Assessment is fully online and no need to attend any classroom. A Proctor will be assigned to you to monitor you during your Final Assessment. You will need a computer with a webcam and an ok internet speed for your Final Assessment. If for any reason you do not pass with a mark of at least 70% of your Final Assessment there is a fee a 75$ CAD+ applicable taxes to re-attempt the Final Assessment. Time penalty may apply depending of your score.
Approximately 40 hours.
You can enter and exit this course as often as you require. This course is a do it at your own pace.
The course is 100% online and no requirement to attend a test in a classroom.
Student Verification Requirements:
Every student is required to submit his/her official photo ID before starting the course. This is a requirement under Transport Canada.
The LMS course is fully approved and is internationally recognized as laid down in tables A-II/2 and A-III/2 of the STCW Convention and Code.
A hardcopy will be posted to your address free of charge.
Online Course Subjects:
A course meeting with all the requirements.
- SOLAS Convention
- STCW Convention & Code
- ISPS Code
- ISM Code
- Shipboard personnel management
- Workload management
- Effective resource management
- Decision-making techniques
- Shipboard training
- Time and resource constraints
- Effective communication
- Situation awareness
- And the list can continue……..
- Download the Official Course Syllabus HERE