This course is intended to provide the knowledge required to enable personnel without designated security duties in connection with a Ship Security Plan (SSP) to enhance ship security in accordance with the requirements of Chapter XI-2 of SOLAS 74 as amended, the ISPS Code, and section A-VI/6-1 of the STCW Code, as amended.
Approved Training Courses:
Virtual Maritime Academy is a Transport Canada Recognized Institution. This course is fully approved and certified under Transport Canada. Transport Canada training certificate is internationally recognized and accepted under STCW around the world including MCA, USCG, AMSA just to name a few….
This course is for:
Crew members without designated security duties on board ship and requirements set in the STCW, and SOLAS Chapter XI-2 and the International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS) Code.
Regulation VI/6, paragraph 1 and Section A-VI/6, paragraphs 4 of the STCW Convention and Code 1978, as amended.
A CDN Number from Transport Canada.*
*For Transport Canada Certification.
Regulations, Code, Convention Addressed:
The International Ship & Port Security (ISPS) Code, STCW Table A-VI/6-1.
- The meaning and the consequential requirements of the different security levels;
- Knowledge of emergency procedures and contingency plans;
- Recognition and detection of weapons, dangerous substances, and devices;
- Recognition, on a non-discriminatory basis, of characteristics and behavioral patterns of persons who are likely to threaten security; and
- Techniques used to circumvent security measures.
The VPWSOR course consists of:
- 5 chapters.
- Confirmation questions after each chapter
- Course Manual, and
- A Final Course Assessment
There are multi-choice questions to complete at the end of each chapter and a final assessment. The passing mark is 70%. The Final Assessment is fully online and no need to attend any classroom. A Proctor will be assigned to you to monitor your during your Final Assessment. You will need a computer with a webcam and an ok internet speed for your Final Assessment. If for any reason you do not pass with a mark of at least 70% your Final Assessment there is a fee a 75$ CAD+ applicable taxes to re-attempt the Final Assessment.
Approximately 5.5 hours.
You can enter and exit this course as often as you require.
The course is 100% online, on-demand and no requirement to attend a test in a classroom.
Student Verification Requirements:
Each student is required to submit his official photo ID before starting the course. This is a requirement under Transport Canada.
The online VPWOSR Course is fully approved by Transport Canada and is internationally recognized. It includes the Manila Amendments and incorporates the VPWSOR course lay down in Regulation VI/5, paragraph 1 and Section A-VI/5, paragraphs 1 to 4 of the STCW Convention and Code 1978, as amended, as laid down in Regulation VI/6 and Section A-VI/6 of the STCW Convention and Code.
A hardcopy will be posted to your address free of charge.
A course meeting with all the requirements.
- Maritime Security Policy
- Maritime Security Definitions
- Techniques used to circumvent security measures
- Security levels
- Security Responsibilities
- The IMO, ISPS, STCW, and SOLAS Explanation
- Security-Related Information, SSRI
- What is a Ship Security Officer
- How to report Security Related incidents
- Threat Identification, Recognition & Response
- Ship Security Actions
- Emergency Preparedness, Drills & Exercises
- Download the Official Course Syllabus HERE.