This online course provides the relevant training to those who have been entrusted with fulfilling designated security duties on board ship. Studies have demonstrated that crewmembers with high-quality training are more proficient in both a stressful environment and during a security-related incident.
Get your VPWSR Certificate Today
Approved Training Courses:
Virtual Maritime Academy is a Transport Canada Recognized Institution. This course is fully approved and certified under Transport Canada. Transport Canada training certificate is internationally recognized and accepted under STCW around the world including MCA, USCG, AMSA just to name a few….
This course is for:
Crew members with designated security duties on board ship and requirements set in the STCW, and SOLAS Chapter XI-2 and the International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS) Code.
STCW Reg VI/6. paragraph 4 and Section A-VI/6, paragraphs 6 to 8 of the STCW Convention and Code 1978, as amended and incorporates Proficiency in Security Awareness laid down in STCW Reg. VI/6, paragraph 1 Section A.VI/6, paragraph 4.
A CDN Number from Transport Canada.*
*For Transport Canada Certification.
Regulations, Code, Convention Addressed:
The International Ship & Port Security (ISPS) Code, STCW Table A-VI/6-2.
- Knowledge of current security threats and patterns;
- Recognition and detection of weapons, dangerous substances, and devices;
- Recognition, on a non-discriminatory basis, of characteristics and behavioral patterns of persons who are likely to threaten security;
- Techniques used to circumvent security measures;
- Crowd management and control techniques;
- Security-related communications;
- Knowledge of emergency procedures and contingency plans;
- Operation of security equipment and systems;
- Testing, calibration, and at-sea maintenance of security equipment and systems;
- Inspection, control, and monitoring techniques; and
- Methods of physical searches of persons, personal effects, baggage, cargo, and ship stores.
The VPWSR course consists of:
- 8 Chapters;
- Confirmation questions after each chapter;
- Course Manual, and
- A Final Course Assessment.
There are multi-choice questions to complete at the end of each chapter and a final assessment. The passing mark is 70%. The Final Assessment is fully online and no need to attend any classroom. A Proctor will be assigned to you to monitor your during your Final Assessment. You will need a computer with a webcam and an ok internet speed for your Final Assessment. If for any reason you do not pass with a mark of at least 70% your Final Assessment there is a fee a 75$ CAD+ applicable taxes to re-attempt the Final Assessment.
Approximately 11.25 hours.
You can enter and exit this course as often as you need.
The course is 100% online and no requirement to attend a test in a classroom.
Student Verification Requirements:
Every student is required to submit his official photo ID before starting the course. This is a requirement under Transport Canada.
The VPWSR course is fully approved by Transport Canada and is internationally recognized. It includes the Manila Amendments and incorporates the VPWSOR course lay down in Regulation VI/6 and Section A-VI/6 of the STCW Convention and Code and met the additional criteria specified in the STCW Convention and Code.
A hardcopy will be posted to your address free of charge.
A course meeting with all the requirements.
- Maritime Security Policy
- Security Responsibilities
- Ship Security Assessment
- Security Equipment
- Threat Identification, Recognition & Response
- Ship Security Actions
- Emergency Preparedness, Drills, and Exercises
- Security Administration
- And many other topics…
- Download the Official Course Syllabus HERE.